Toggle menu

Housing Benefit

Council tenants or tenants of social landlords

The amount of Housing Benefit you receive will depend on your personal circumstances, including your income, savings, who else lives in your household and the level of your rent.

Spare bedrooms

The amount of Housing Benefit you get could be reduced if you have one or more spare bedrooms. For people aged between 16 and Pension Credit eligibility age, if you are assessed as having at least one extra bedroom in your house, your housing benefit could be reduced (opens new window).

Housing Benefit payment

If you're a council tenant, any Housing Benefit will be paid direct to your rent account. As a housing association tenant, you can receive your Housing Benefit direct to your bank, four-weekly in arrears, or, you can opt for payments to be made direct to your landlord.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email