Toggle menu

Council tax reduction (CTR)

How to make a claim

If you believe you qualify for a Council Tax Reduction, you can make a claim online:

Council Tax Reduction: make a claim (opens new window)

If you are unable to make a claim using our online form, please call us on 0300 456 0110.

Evidence to support your claim

On completion of your online claim, you will be asked to provide us with evidence to support it. Any delay in providing the evidence will delay your payment.

How to provide evidence

You can contact us by email or by post with your evidence. You must include your claim reference number or National Insurance number with your evidence, and any email attachments should total less than 10mb in size.

Contact the benefits team

A full list of the documents we may ask for can be found in our  council tax reduction and housing benefit evidence factsheet (OpenDocument text format) [527KB] (opens new window)

If you are already claiming Universal Credit

If you are already claiming Universal Credit, you should indicate on the online Universal Credit claim that you intend to apply for a Council Tax Reduction. The Department for Work and Pensions will then share your data with us to allow your Council Tax Reduction to be calculated.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email