Toggle menu

Universal Credit

If you receive any of the benefits listed below, they will eventually be replaced by a single benefit called Universal Credit. (opens new window).

  • Job Seeker's Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit. (opens new window) is paid as a single monthly payment and administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) (opens new window).

Do I need to do anything?

If you are already claiming one of the benefits listed above, you'll be told when you need to change over and make a claim for Universal Credit instead. You will need to claim Universal Credit unless you fall within one of the groups listed below:

  • You and your partner are of state pension age; or
  • You are living in specified accommodation.

You cannot claim Housing Benefit unless you fall within one of these groups.

Making a claim for Universal Credit

You need to make a claim for Universal Credit online. If you do not have a computer or access to the internet, find out where your nearest public access computer is and what support is available at each location to help you apply.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email