What is CiCC?
The Children in Care Council is a group that meets up to have some fun and, also, to talk about living in foster care - what it's like, what works well and what needs to change.
- Currently meetings are held on the first and third Thursday of the month at 4.30 pm. Members enjoy fun activities, as well as contributing important decisions.
- Children in Care Council Members are normally aged between 10 and 18 years old.
- Sometimes guests attend the Children in Care Council Meetings, these are normally Wiltshire Council Councillors, or Managers that want to consult with the members about important issues, such as what makes a good foster home, mental health and education.
- Children in Care Council Members views are taken very seriously and often lead to positive changes being made at the council.
- The Children in Care Council is a fantastic opportunity to make friends and have your say on the decisions that matter to you the most. It gives you the opportunity to get your voice heard!
To get involved with the Children in Care Council you can either speak with your Social Worker, or email the Child and Youth Voice Team firstname.lastname@example.org.
We took 18 children in care on a weekend residential to PGL Liddington in September. Everyone had a fantastic time and because of the feedback that we received about young people not wanting to do adult meetings we are revamping our Children in Care Council to make it more fun and more inclusive! We have been working closely with our Community Engagement Managers (CEM's) to see what different activities/events that we can offer our young people. From January 2021 we will be run monthly activity sessions on a Saturday for 2-3 hours and again for a day or two in the school holidays. The sessions will give young people the opportunity to make new friends and develop trusting relationships. These sessions will build confidence, identity and help our children in care develop new skills. There will be an opportunity for consultation but the focus of the group will be on the activity, developing relationships and having fun! Independent Visitors, Foster carers and social workers are very welcome to support their young people in attending.
If you are a young person who is interest, or want to refer a young person please contact the Child and Youth Voice Team by email on email@example.com.