There are great benefits to volunteering for individuals, for communities and for organisations. Wiltshire Council operates a volunteer strategy to help get the most value from volunteering for everyone.
There are many opportunities to volunteer across Wiltshire including one-off events or longer-term commitments. To search for opportunities in your area take a look on Our Community Matters.
As well as volunteering opportunities in the community Wiltshire Council relies on the help of volunteers to deliver some of its important community services.
Browse the services below to find out what's involved in each opportunity and how to get in contact if you would like to volunteer.
- Home Library Service
- Helping to operate libraries and provide support
- Helping with the Summer Reading Challenge
- Supporting children's activities
Volunteer drivers - email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
To find out further information about what volunteering opportunities are available through the Area Board in your community area, please contact the Strategic Engagement and Partnership Manager though Area boards.
If you want to support trees in Wiltshire, why not become a tree warden for your Town or Parish Council. As well as helping promote tree planting opportunities at a local level you can help monitor existing trees in your area. You don't need any experience or prior knowledge of trees as all training will be provided and is accredited by the Tree Council. See The Tree Council: Become a volunteer Tree Warden for information about the role.
Please contact GAPS@wiltshire.gov.uk to register your interest.
What can you expect from us?
If you decide you would like to volunteer for Wiltshire Council you can expect to:
- be considered in a fair selection process for the role you are interested in
- be part of delivering an efficient and effective and community service
- have an appropriate induction for the role you will fulfil
- be supported through the GOV.UK: Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) system if required for your chosen role
- receive training as required for the role
- be given on-going support and reviews if appropriate
- have your achievements celebrated.