New food business advice


Following the re-opening of all businesses and the lifting of COVID restrictions by the Government, our food safety officers have now resumed unannounced food hygiene inspections for businesses across Wiltshire.

We have continued to work on our inspection programme throughout the pandemic but, by necessity to safeguard both the businesses and our staff, this work has been by prior announcement. The Covid lockdowns have meant that our inspection programme has been delayed and some food inspections are now overdue. We are working in accordance with the Food Standards Agency's national Recovery Plan to get back on track. 

Covid infection remains in the community across Wiltshire. Our officers will continue to wear face coverings when they visit food businesses. We will be asking food handlers and other staff present to maintain social distancing please. This is to continue to protect the health of your staff and our officers. We look forward to your understanding and support for this.

Check for up to date advice on the current situation, using our Coronavirus business support page.  GOV.UK have produced some guidance and HM Government: Keeping workers and customers safe during COVID-19 in restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services.

Starting a new food business

This information is designed to help you understand your legal responsibilities and help you get your business off to a good start. The following legislation will apply:

  • Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013
  • EC Regulation 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs

In some circumstances the following legislation may also apply:

  • EC Regulation 853/2004 laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin

Food business registration

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before they commence trading. The 28 days allows the Food and Safety Team to risk assess the proposed business, provide advice and where necessary visit. If you wish to trade before the 28 days has elapsed, you should first speak to the Food and Safety team to ensure no special restrictions apply.

Registration is not a 'licence' and does not indicate compliance with food safety law. 
Registration cannot be refused.

*(Article (6) of EC Regulation 852/2004)

Register a new food business

Please read the guidance before completing your form.

Approved premises

Approved premises application (PDF) [205KB] (opens new window)  

If you are unable to download this application form/document or require a paper version please contact us on 0300 456 0107 or email at and we will  contact you to assist you with your application.

Food business registration form

Register your food business

Please read the guidance before completing your form.