Agreement for chargeable garden waste collection
This agreement is made between the person requesting and paying for the service (the applicant) and Wiltshire Council (the council), and governs the fortnightly collection of garden waste.
We will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016.
We will not share your personal data with third parties without your permission. The data you provide in order to receive a chargeable garden waste service will be kept secure in the council's databases. It may be shared with our appointed partners in order to provide you with this service.
- The council and its contractors will not collect garden waste other than that contained in the designated garden waste container which has been paid for.
- All containers must clearly display the house name or number, under the handle, on the back so that the crews can identify that it has been paid for. It is the resident's responsibility to clearly display the house name or number on their container. If the address is not clearly visible to crews, they will not empty the container and are unable to return before the next scheduled collection.
- Garden waste must be presented at the kerbside by 7am on the day of collection. Containers should be placed at the edge of properties at the kerbside with the bin handle facing out towards the road, or at a point on any shared private access nearest to a publicly adopted vehicular highway.
- Containers for garden waste should be removed from the kerbside as soon as possible after collection but no later than 10pm on the day of collection.
- Lids of garden waste containers must be fully closed. The council and its contractors will not empty containers when the lids are not fully closed. Bin lids must be closed for the bins to be lifted safely without risk of falling off the bin lift.
- The council and its contractors will collect waste on bank and public holidays except where these fall on 25 December, 26 December or 1 January. Collection days may be subject to change but this will be publicised in advance, use the Waste collection calendar to find out when your rubbish and recycling will be collected.
- The council will suspend garden waste collections for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period for operational reasons. If the service is suspended at any time (due to inclement weather, for example) the council and its contractors will provide an additional collection in order to catch up.
- The council and its contractors reserve the right not to empty any container that in its reasonable opinion poses a health and safety risk to operatives. If containers are too heavy to be safely moved, the council and its contractors will require the resident to reduce the weight of garden waste in containers before any further attempt is made to empty them.
- Should the lid or contents of bins be frozen or over-compacted the council and its contractors will endeavour to release the contents using the lifter on the collection vehicle, but some waste may remain in the bin. The council and its contractors are unable to return to empty the frozen or over-compacted bins before the next scheduled collection. No refunds will be given in this situation as it is outside of our control.
- A new agreement requesting payment will be automatically sent out annually in order for the service to continue for the next 12 months. Renewals will be sent to email addresses if provided. If the payment is not received prior to the expiration of your current agreement, we will assume that you no longer require the service and your collections will cease.
- The resident may terminate this agreement by giving one month's written notice. No refunds will be given.
- The council normally reviews its charges annually but reserves the right to vary charges with reasonable notice at any time.
- Each payment covers the collection of a 180 litre container. For the majority of properties this will be a 180 litre wheeled bin. Where, in the opinion of the Council, the storage space, access to/from the point of collection, or the specific vehicle used to collect from a property mean it is not suitable for wheeled bins the council will provide and collect re-usable bags up to a similar capacity to the standard issue of a 180 litre bin.
- Each payment covers the cost of providing a fortnightly garden waste collection until 30 June 2024, and not a set number of collections. The price you pay is dependent on when you sign up. All contracts end on 30 June. The dates when the payment amount changes are displayed on the council's website.
- If your container is missed, please report this to us within 2 working days of the scheduled collection so it can be rectified. No refunds will be given for unreported missed collections or if we are not informed within 2 working days of the scheduled collection.
- Any container provided shall remain the property of the council.
- The resident is responsible for ensuring that each container is clearly labelled with the property address. Collection crews will only empty containers which they can identify as paid.
- Householders are required to keep the containers in a safe location on their property, use them only for their designated purpose, keep them clean and report any loss or damage
- During the life of this agreement the applicant shall be responsible for the container, its cleanliness and the cleanliness of the site around the container
- The resident is responsible for keeping the container safe and secure. In the event of the container being lost, stolen or damaged the resident may be required to pay the council for the cost of a replacement container and its delivery. Such costs shall be payable by the resident to the council on demand and shall be recoverable by the council as a debt. Routine repairs or replacements of containers will be carried out where the council reasonably considers it necessary due to normal wear and tear, or damage caused during the emptying operation. Standard size containers (180 litres) will be issued whenever a replacement is made.
- If you move to a new house, all bins should be left at the property. Please contact the council to report a change of address so we can collect your garden waste bin or ask the new occupant if they wish to receive the service. If you are moving to a different property in Wiltshire and would like to continue to receive a charged garden waste collection at your new property we can transfer your contract to your new property and will ensure that a bin is available at your new house. If you are moving outside of Wiltshire or would like to cancel your contract you can do so but you would not be entitled to a refund.