Roadworks and related information
Here you can find information for current and planned road works, public events and other activities on the highway network in Wiltshire.
We have teamed up with market leader Elgin, to help improve the way we monitor, communicate and analyse traffic disruptions, everything from road closures and diversion routes, to public events and incidents.
Highlights of the Elgin's mapping system known as one.network include:
- A clearer display format, showing the works promoter and traffic management type, at a glance.
- Integrated Google street view direct from the map page
- The ability to sign up for personal email alerts, where you can be notified of road works that affect a particular area or route of interest.
- Live incident feeds direct on the map layer from a variety of sources including Google, TomTom and Waze live traffic.
- The ability to integrate additional data layers to enable better planning of works by utilities and contractors.
Emergency works won't appear immediately due to their urgent nature and will be added to the reporting system when we are notified about them.
Wiltshire Council can not provide information for the M4 Motorway and A303, A36, A417 and A419 trunk roads which are the responsibility of Highways England who can be contacted using the links below.
Trunk roads and motorways
Works on Wiltshire Council's road network
To find out more about the works being undertaken you should first attempt to contact the company responsible using the contact list below.
There should be an information board on site displaying the name of the company responsible for the works, contact number and permit number. If you still need to contact the council please note the permit number as this will enable us to locate the works and company efficiently.
|Utility Company||Utility Contact Numbers|
|Bristol Water Plc||0345 702 3797|
|Openreach (BT)||03301 233 753|
|GTC Pipelines||0800 111 999|
|National Grid Transico||0800 404 090|
|Scottish and Southern Energy Plc||0800 072 7278|
|Southern Gas Networks||0800 111 999|
|Southern Water Services||0330 303 0368|
|Thames Water Utilities||0800 009 3961|
|Virgin Media||0800 649 1122|
|Wales and West Utilities||0800 111 999|
|Wessex Water Plc||0345 600 4600|
|Wiltshire Council - Out of hours duty engineer||0300 456 0105|
Street works licences, applications and information
Information about our street works and road works permit scheme which was implemented on 1 June 2020 can be found on Road works permit scheme.
Wiltshire Council (the Highway Authority) provides a facility for temporary road closures.
Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S.14 (Street Works)
Only the Highway Authority (Wiltshire Council), Statutory Undertakes and the Police can apply to close a road.
- Please contact the Highways Department at TTROapplication@wiltshire.gov.uk or call 0300 456 0105 if you believe you require road closure. A minimum of twelve weeks notice is required.
- A fixed fee of £1473 is issued to cover the processing and advertising costs related to road closure.
- To apply please download, complete and return the .
- For information and to apply, see Section 50 street works licence.
- Formal authorisation is required for any promoter wishing to use Portable Traffic Signals on the highway
- It is an offence to place and operate Portable Traffic Signals on the highway without approval from the Highway Authority as given in Traffic Signs regulation and general Directions 2002 Part 11 Direction 53
We welcome your feedback on our service, please email any comments to our Street Works team firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Data Protection Regulation