Homes for Ukraine
- Local authority requirements
- How to register
- What happens next
- Withdraw sponsorship offer
As part of your involvement in the Homes for Ukraine scheme, you are entitled to an optional 'thank you' payment of £350 per month.
On 29 April 2022, The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities outlined the specific requirements for this payment.
You must agree to the following conditions:
- payments must only be issued to those lead sponsors where it is confirmed that they have passed the necessary property and safeguarding checks, including DBS checks
- lead sponsors can claim for up to 12 months
- lead sponsors are only eligible for monthly payments for as long as the guest remains living in their accommodation
- only one monthly payment will be given per residential address, regardless of the number of guests being hosted, size, or location of the property.
As a local authority, we are required to:
- conduct fraud checks
- check sponsor identity
- cross reference against relevant council databases
- request bank statement from sponsor to confirm details
- seek evidence of guest's visa
Your payment will be paid monthly in arrears on the 25 of the month, directly into your bank account. This payment will be tax free and should not affect your entitlement to benefits or council tax status.
We will require confirmation of some details when you register to be a sponsor, specifically:
- you will not charge rent to Ukrainian guests
- you will not allow Ukrainian guests to work for you/be employed by you for less than the National Minimum Wage and Living Wage (for more information, see Offer work to people who have come to the UK from Ukraine on the GOV.UK website)
- you agree to notify the council of any changes
- you agree for fraud checks to be carried out, including DBS and sharing host address details with Wiltshire Police so that welfare checks can be made if required (all data shared with appropriate partners within Data Protection Agreement (Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR Article 6))
- you agree for checks to be carried out with Wiltshire Council databases and databases of any other local authority area resided in within the last 5 years
- you agree to at least one in-person check at the six-month mark from council officers.
If you can't apply online, then you can fill in the Sponsor self-declaration form and return it to our refugee resettlement and migration team.
Remember to sign the form otherwise we can't process it.
Completed paper forms should be posted to:
Refugee resettlement and migration team,
Once we receive your application, our community support team will review it.
If you are eligible, your thank you payment will be processed and you will receive this in arrears on 25 of the month, directly into your bank account.
If you wish to withdraw your application you must either:
- email us at H4U@wiltshire.gov.uk with the subject 'Cancel my H4U application'
- call Wiltshire Council customer support (0300 456 0100), and ask them to pass on a message.