Household recycling centre booking system FAQs
You must book a slot before visiting a household recycling centre.
All visitors to a Wiltshire household recycling centre (HRC) must pre-book a slot to visit beforehand. You can book a slot seven days in advance. This is an advance booking system, so you will be unable to book a same day visit to a HRC.
FAQs about the HRC booking system
All ten of our HRCs will be open for booked visits only from Monday 8 June.
From Monday 8 June, you must book a slot to visit one of our HRCs. From this date, do not make a trip to a HRC if you have not made a booking first as you will be turned away.
The opening times may be subject to further changes so please always check the opening times before you travel.
Household recycling centre opening times from Monday 8 June 2020
- Amesbury: 9am-4pm Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Devizes: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Thursday and Friday.
- Lower Compton: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Marlborough: 9am-4pm Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Melksham: 9am-4pm Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Purton: 9am-4pm Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Salisbury: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Thursday.
- Stanton St Quintin: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Thursday.
- Trowbridge: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Friday.
- Warminster: 9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
Bookings must be made online via a smartphone, tablet or computer. You can book a slot up to seven days in advance. This is an advance-booking system, so you will be unable to book a same day visit to a HRC. You must live in the Wiltshire Council area and be able to provide proof of address when visiting a HRC.
Yes, you will receive an email as confirmation. Please bring this with you (on your smartphone is fine) when you attend the HRC.
There are around 10,000 available slots available across all 10 sites each week, but some sites have more slots than others, due to available capacity on each site. New slots are added each day, so please check back daily to book a slot.
Slots for a car / small van (under 3.5t) booking are 15 minutes long, which should be enough time for you to unload waste from your vehicle. Slots for trailers or 3.5t vans are 30 minutes long, though this will be kept under review and may be reduced in the future. Vehicles weighing over 3.5t, trailers over 3 metres, horse box trailers, and any van, pick-up or flatbed towing a trailer of any size, are not permitted on site.
Yes. Capacity at all sites has been reduced as a result of the ongoing social distancing measures required due to Covid-19. To help ensure that all residents can reasonably access a recycling centre, we are operating a "Fair Use" policy where we ask households to make no more than two visits per month. Due to a further limitation on unloading bays for trailers or large vans (3.5t and above), under the "Fair Use" policy we would ask households wishing to visit using a trailer or large van to limit themselves to one visit per month, where possible. We would encourage all users to first consider whether their visit is essential.
As the number of unloading bays at each site has needed to be reduced to ensure social distancing, there are a limited number of slots available for each site. If you can't book a slot, please try again tomorrow. Alternatively, you could see if slots might be available at other sites in the Wiltshire Council area. We expect initial demand to be high, so if you can store your waste at home, you may want to leave it a week or two for the initial demand to subside.
Do not call us to book a slot - our teams do not have access to any extra slots.
No. You must book a slot beforehand. This is an advance-booking system, so you will be unable to visit a HRC on the same day you make your booking. If you attend a HRC without a booked slot you will be refused entry.
Yes, you must live in the Wiltshire Council area and be able to provide proof of address when visiting a HRC. Please make sure your proof of address is clearly visible in your vehicle window.
Acceptable examples include:
- Driver's licence.
- Council tax bill.
- Utility bill (either a printed or an electronic version is acceptable).
- If you are visiting the site in a van you need to apply for a van permit which can be obtained from Household recycling centres permits
If you can't book online, please ask a family member or friend to try for you.
We do not currently have additional staff capacity to take bookings over the phone, and please don't phone the recycling centre sites, as they cannot take bookings either.
You can book online in just a few simple steps.
This varies by site - find out more
However, we are now accepting items that we previously didn't accept - soil, rubble, plasterboard and, with notice, asbestos (some sites only).
Yes. From Monday 8 June you must book a slot to visit a HRC.
- There will also be a limit to the number of vehicles allowed on site at any one time, and this will vary from site to site - please follow the signs and advice from staff on site. The number of vehicles allowed on each site will be significantly fewer than normal.
- You must stay in your vehicle while queuing and please do not leave your vehicle until it is time to unload. If necessary, another person from your household may exit the vehicle as well as yourself to assist you with a large or heavy item. Once that item has been deposited, they must get back in the vehicle. Other people can also be in the vehicle, but they are not to get out - this is to ensure social distancing and to keep our staff and residents safe. Please note that our teams on site cannot help you upload waste, so please only bring waste that can be carried on your own by one person or with another member of your household
- You cannot enter a HRC on foot, on a bicycle or on a motorbike.
You must not attend an HRC if you are:
- Extremely vulnerable and are remaining at home for shielding purposes.
- Symptomatic with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- In a 14-day household isolation.
To ensure social distancing on site we are only allowing one person to exit a vehicle unless help is required for a large or heavy item. In such a scenario, we will allow one member of the household to assist in carrying that item, but that person must get back into the vehicle once the item is deposited. Other people can also be in the vehicle, but they are not to get out. Please note that our teams on site cannot help you upload waste, so please only bring waste that can be carried on your own by one person or with another member of your household.
We have followed the government advice at all times, and previously that advice explained that trips to HRCs were not essential journeys. Following new advice, we have reopened all of our HRCs with social distancing measures in place to protect our staff and residents.
If you've hired a van and don't know the registration number, write 'Hire Van' in the registration box and bring your hire agreement to the household recycling centre. The team on site will then check this and record the vehicle registration.