Use your household waste bin to dispose of rubbish that cannot be recycled.
Your household waste is collected every two weeks. All household waste, recycling, and garden waste collection dates are available on our waste collection calendar.
Waste and recycling collection dates will be delayed over the Christmas period. There will be no collections on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day. See the table below for the rescheduled collection dates.
|Normal collection date||Revised collection date|
|Monday 25 December 2023||Wednesday 27 December 2023|
|Tuesday 26 December 2023||Thursday 28 December 2023|
|Wednesday 27 December 2023||Friday 29 December 2023|
|Thursday 28 December 2023||Saturday 30 December 2023|
|Friday 29 December 2023||Tuesday 2 January 2024|
|Monday 1 January 2024||Wednesday 3 January 2024|
|Tuesday 2 January 2024||Thursday 4 January 2024|
|Wednesday 3 January 2024||Friday 5 January 2024|
|Thursday 4 January 2024||Saturday 6 January 2024|
|Friday 5 January 2024||Monday 8 January 2024|
|Monday 8 January 2024||Tuesday 9 January 2024|
|Tuesday 9 January 2024||Wednesday 10 January 2024|
|Wednesday 10 January 2024||Thursday 11 January 2024|
|Thursday 11 January 2024||Friday 12 January 2024|
|Friday 12 January 2024||Saturday 13 January 2024|
|Monday 15 January 2024||Normal collections resume|
What can go in your bin, and what cannot
You should only use your household waste bin to dispose of rubbish that cannot be recycled.
Do not put the following things in your bin:
- any items that can be recycled, see Kerbside recycling
- any garden waste, see Garden waste collections
- batteries, see Battery collection
- household or garden chemicals or gas bottles
- electrical appliances or equipment (WEEE)
- bulky household waste and large items, see large item collection
- clinical or infectious waste and sharps, see hazardous and clinical waste
- hazardous items such as asbestos, see hazardous and clinical waste
- oil-based paint, oil drums, petrol cans, see hazardous and clinical waste
- construction or demolition waste
Excess household waste that you cannot fit into your bin can be bagged and taken to any household recycling centre.
Avoiding smells and maggots
To help prevent smells and maggots, make sure:
- all waste is bagged before you put it in your bin - anything that may cause smells should be double-bagged (for example, nappies or food waste)
- the bin lid is securely shut to avoid flies getting in - try and store your bins out of direct sunlight in hot weather
- you regularly clean your bin/s using bleach
Putting out your bin
To make sure your rubbish is collected:
- put your bins out before 7am on your collection day
- put your bins at the edge of your property, at the kerbside, with the handle facing the road
- put your waste in securely tied bags inside your bin, we will not collect rubbish left next to your bin
- make sure your bin lid is closed
Take in your bin as soon as possible after collection.
If you find it difficult to put out your rubbish and recycling bins or bags, you can apply online for an assisted collection or by calling us on 0300 456 0102.
Requests for extra household waste bins
If you are recycling all that you can and still have difficulty fitting all of your waste in your bin, we can assess if you need a larger or additional one. In some cases we will carry out a waste audit before approving your request. All households with a larger bin will have an annual review (which may include a waste audit visit).
To request a larger bin, go to our waste and recycling services, and complete the 'Request a larger bin/container' form under the 'Additional services' section at the bottom of the page. You will need to create an account, and have a valid email address, to use this service.
We will not provide a larger bin if you create more waste due to keeping pets.
My neighbour's bin looks different to mine
Our standard household waste bins are black 180 litre containers. Bins issued by former district councils may vary in size and colour. All new containers delivered will be of the council's standard size.