Toggle menu

Service personnel

Housing information for service personnel and veterans.

Wiltshire has a significant community of service personnel and veterans. We developed the first Military Civilian Integration Partnership in the country to support our provision for this in 2006. In 2013 we signed the Armed Forces Covenant, a promise from the nation that those who serve or have served and their families, are treated fairly.

Information about education, employment, health and army basing can be found on MCI/Army basing.

Leaving service family accommodation

There are government schemes to help service personnel find somewhere to live. If you are coming up to leaving or have recently left service accommodation, contact the DIO Loss of Entitlement Team by email at (opens new window) or call 01904 418000.

Veterans gateway

Veterans' Gateway (opens new window) should be the first point of contact for veterans seeking support.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)

The JSHAO (opens new window) advises on civilian housing options for service personnel and their dependants.

Forces help to buy

A scheme to help forces personnel onto the property ladder (opens new window).

MOD Referral Team

This assists service leavers who would benefit from affordable housing but may not receive priority through local authority lettings. It uses housing association properties including sheltered and adapted properties. For eligibility and more information visit MOD referral scheme (opens new window).

Services Cotswold Centre

Services Cotswold Centre (opens new window) can provide transit accommodation for service personnel and their families.


The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) (opens new window) helps single service leavers find settled accommodation.

Homeless or in housing need

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness please contact the Housing Solutions service on 0300 456 0106 or¬† (opens new window). Do this in addition to seeking support from any of the agencies above that apply as a multi-agency approach can be helpful. We can advise on local options, and will try and prevent your homelessness or help you to find settled accommodation. If you are vulnerable as a result of time spent in service, we will take that into account. For information about how we work with homeless people visit Homelessness.

Looking for a home

Looking for a home has information on:

  • Renting privately
  • The council's choice-based lettings scheme Homes4Wiltshire which advertises social rented homes including sheltered, Extra Care and low cost home ownership homes
  • Supported housing which offers short term accommodation with support
  • Help with housing costs

Supported housing

Alabar√© (opens new window) offers short term housing and support to single ex-service personnel who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless.  All residents must have served in the British Armed Forces. Their home in Salisbury is close to amenities and services.

Entrain Space (opens new window) offers housing and support to ex-service personnel and their families to help with the transition to civilian life. Residents can stay up to 3 years at Erskine House, Wilton, Salisbury.

Advice and support

Royal British Legion (opens new window) advises service personnel, veterans and their families. This includes managing money, benefits, housing, finding a job and much more.

Combat Stress (opens new window) is for former servicemen and women with mental health problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety and depression. It provides specialist treatment and support, focusing on veterans with complex mental health issues.

Help for Heroes (opens new window) empowers veterans and those still serving to recover from injuries and illness to reach their potential. It offers physical, psychological, financial and welfare support and also supports families.

Soldiers, Sailors, Airforce and Families Association (SSAFA) (opens new window) supports service personnel, veterans and their immediate family. It offers support with debts, benefits, housing, mental health and substance misuse issues, and any equipment needed for independent living. Read more on their website or call 0800 220 6767.

Turning Point (opens new window) supports people with mental health, and problematic drug and alcohol use in Wiltshire.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email