Privacy notice - Housing
Wiltshire Council has a duty to protect personal information and will process personal data in accordance with the current Data Protection legislation.
Wiltshire Council is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office. Full details of the registration are available at ICO register of data controllers.
We can be contacted by phone, in person, or in writing.
Our DPO may be contacted as above or online at InformationGovernance@wiltshire.gov.uk.
The Wiltshire Council Housing Teams will process your personal information for the following purposes:
- Managing our property
- Managing Rent, Service Charge & Sundry Debt Accounts
- Applications to purchase council properties
- To consider applications for a council mortgage
- To supply support services to tenants/leaseholders
- To carry out financial assessments/affordability checks
- Carrying out surveys
- Undertaking research
- Internal financial support and corporate functions
- Managing archived records for historical and research reasons
- Carrying out our Statutory Obligations as a social landlord
- Maintaining our own accounts and records
- Fulfilling our duties under Part VI and VII of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended)
- Inspecting property premises or land
- Providing loans or grants
- Undertaking our statutory responsibilities and discretionary activities in relation to addressing poor housing and accommodation standards
- Providing statistical information required by MHCLG
- Local fraud initiatives
- Data matching under local and national fraud initiatives
- Licensing and regulatory activities
- Fulfilling our duties under the Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015
- Corporate administration and all activities we are required to carry out as a data controller and public authority
Our processing shall be lawful because at least one of the following will apply:
(a) processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;
(b) processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Council is subject;
(c) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council;
If your special category data is processed, in addition to one of the above, processing will be necessary because at least one of the following shall also apply:
(a) the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes;
(b) to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent;
(c) processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest;
(d) processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services;
(e) for reasons of public interest in the area of public health, such as protecting against serious cross-border threats to health or ensuring high standards of quality and safety of health care and of medicinal products or medical devices;
(f) for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes
Where necessary and lawful, or when required by legal obligation, we may share information with:
- Family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
- Healthcare, social and welfare organisations
- Providers of goods and services
- Service providers
- Local and central government
- Ombudsman and regulatory authorities
- Press and the media
- Professional advisers and consultants
- Courts and tribunals
- Professional advisers
- Credit reference agencies
- Professional bodies
- Survey and research organisations
- Police forces
- Other police forces, non-home office police forces
- Local and central government
- Partner agencies, approved organisations and individuals working with the police
- Law enforcement
- Private registered providers and landlords
- Voluntary and charitable organisations
- Welfare benefits departments
- Police complaints authority
- Data processors
- Regulatory bodies
- Security companies
- Press and the media
- Law enforcement and prosecuting authorities
- Legal representatives, defence solicitors
- Healthcare professionals
- MPs and Councillors
We will process your personal data for the above purposes for no longer than necessary. Retention periods have been determined for different categories on information. The information processed for the above purposes will be kept for no longer than the statutory time period which can be found on this page, from the date of the last recording about you. Wiltshire Council's About Freedom of Information shows the retention schedule.
Your rights are set out in the Data Protection legislation and include:
- The right to access your personal information, to request rectification or erasure of certain personal information and to object to processing in certain circumstances.
- The right to withdraw any consent you may have given to process your personal information.
- The right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel we are processing your personal information unlawfully.
- The right to restrict processing activity in certain circumstances.
- The right to object to certain types of processing activity
The information you are giving us may be a statutory or contractual requirement; or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
You may be obliged to provide us with this information.
Failure to provide us with this information may result in Wiltshire Council withdrawing, cancelling or refusing to provide services or contracts. The form or application wherein you provide this information will have more specific information regarding this.
Wiltshire Council does not use automated decision making in respect to your personal information.