WiltsLet - support for private landlords and renters

WiltsLet is a free service for local landlords and people in housing need. It aims to support sustainable lettings by matching landlords and potential tenants.

Landlords - how we can help
Finding tenants and support with the lettings process.

Renters - how we can help
Finding accommodation, the provision of a deposit bond against damages, and rent in advance in some circumstances.

Rent in advance and deposit bond

Landlords - how we can help

You will have a main staff contact who can:

  • Offer a deposit bond, and rent in advance in some circumstances.   
  • Check the property meets lettings standards
  • Help find tenants suited to it
  • Conduct viewings
  • Provide a tenancy agreement if needed
  • Carry out the sign up
  • Assist you in visiting the property if you are experiencing problems with the tenant

To find out more please contact Housing Solutions. If you go ahead we will ask you to sign an agreement setting out our responsibilities and yours.

Renters - how we can help

If you qualify we can help with:

  • A deposit bond, and rent in advance in some circumstances. Full details below.  
  • Advice on finding accommodation

You need to be:

  • Homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Have a local connection to Wiltshire
  • Qualify in terms of your immigration status - ask us if you don't know
  • And unable to pay a deposit and / or rent in advance

If you think WiltsLet could help you please contact Housing Options. We will need to know about your housing situation, income and any savings. We will check for any other sources of help available to you and need to see: 

  • ID such as a passport, driving licence, birth or marriage certificate
  • Proof of your address and housing situation such as a Notice
  • Proof of any children such as a birth certificate or child benefit letter
  • The last 2 months statements of all accounts such as building society, bank or post office ones

What happens next?

  1. We advise you in writing whether you qualify for help. You then look for somewhere suitable to live. We can advise you on property hunting and will let you know of anything suitable on our books. See our tips on finding accommodation at Find a property.
  2. Once you have found somewhere suitable, ask if the landlord will accept a deposit bond and let us know the details. Do not sign up to the property or hand over any cash at this point as we need to check that the property is affordable. WiltsLet can only support affordable lets. We will check the rent, your income and living costs.
  3. We also check that the property meets lettings standards and the landlord will accept WiltsLet. We then confirm whether we can help you.
  4. If the letting goes ahead you  need to pay the rent and keep the property in good condition. We may claim from you if there are any rent arrears or damage at the end of the tenancy. 

Rent in advance and deposit bond

WiltsLet can offer up to one months rent in advance to the landlord in some circumstances. This is returnable unless there are rent arrears and reasonable steps have been taken to collect them.

WiltsLet can offer a deposit bond of up to five weeks rent. If you are a landlord this means that you do not need to use a government authorised scheme for holding the deposit. 

What does the deposit bond cover?

  • Damage to the property such as doors, walls and windows
  • Damage to fixtures and fittings
  • Cleaning of stains and excessive dirt
  • Cleaning of cookers and bathrooms up to £150
  • Rent arrears where there is evidence of reasonable steps taken to try and recover them
  • Removal of rubbish, in exceptional circumstances only

What isn't covered?

  • Unpaid bills such as utility bills
  • Gas and electricity meter charges
  • Damage to communal areas
  • General wear and tear
  • Personal debts owed by the tenant to the landlord
  • End of tenancy cleaning


  • If there is a claim against the deposit bond, we will inspect the damage and agree what we think is a fair amount.
  • If there is a claim against the rent in advance, we expect reasonable actions to have been taken to collect the arrears.  


You need to claim any costs not covered direct from the tenant.


We may claim any costs against the deposit bond from you. A housing debt may prevent you from accessing social or affordable housing.