Toggle menu

Security and safety in your home

Information for council tenants.

Private sector housing enquiries

Fire safety

Gas safety - Wiltshire Council tenants

Under law, gas appliances must be fitted by a suitably qualified person, who is a registered member of 'Gas Safe'. Tenants must ask permission from the council before installing any gas appliances and must agree to the appliance being inspected as part of the council's servicing contract.

Gas safety - private rented accommodation

Further information on the Gas Safe Register and gas safety information for landlords and tenants is available on the Gas Safe website (opens new window).

Heating and hot water - Wiltshire Council tenants

Electrical safety

Crime reduction

If you would like advice concerning the security of your home there are crime reduction officers at your local police station. They will be able to give advice over the telephone and can visit you in your own home. The Crime Reduction Office also has a range of useful leaflets which give general advice on all aspects of crime prevention in your home. Otherwise, you can look at their website at (opens new window) which has a more detailed range of advice and information.

Most burglaries are committed by opportunist thieves. Remember one quarter of all burglaries committed don't use force to enter a property. Think like a burglar - would there be an easy way to break into your home?

Contents insurance

Other contacts

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email