Toggle menu

Information for electors voting in the General Election 2024.

A UK parliamentary election has been called for 4 July 2024. Deadlines for registering to vote, and applying for a postal vote, have now passed. To apply to vote by proxy, you have until 5pm on 26 June 2024: GOV.UK: Apply to vote by proxy (opens new window)

Overseas electors may consider applying to vote by proxy. For more information see the General Election 2024 page.

Young people support

Leaving home

Leaving home is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. The best time to leave home is when you:

  • Feel ready to live independently
  • Have help to find somewhere and set up a new home
  • Know that you can look after yourself and manage your money

It's not a good idea to rush into leaving home. Ideally, you should stay with your family until you can move out in a planned way.


Problems at home

Am I ready to leave home?

Finding somewhere to live

Help with housing costs

Help and advice

Problems at home

If there are problems at home it may help to talk them through. Do you have a support worker or teacher you could talk to? Or, check out Help and advice.

If you feel unsafe at home

  • If you are in immediate danger, call the Police on 999.
  • If you are not in immediate danger contact MASH (multi action safeguarding hub) on 0300 456 0108.  Open Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm, and Friday 8.45am to 4pm. At other times call them on 0300 456 0100.

Asked to leave?

If you have been asked to leave by parents, family or friends, or have left because you feel unsafe, seek help immediately.

If you are under 18 years

Contact either Housing Options or Children's Services. For Children's Services call the Integrated Front Door on 0300 456 0108. Because of your age Housing and Children's Services will work together to identify how best to help you. We will ask about your situation and needs and talk over the options with you.

If you are over 18 years

Contact Housing Options. We will ask about your situation and needs and advise on the best options for you. These might include:

  • Mediation - It can sometimes help to talk over issues at home with someone outside the family. We can offer mediation to you and your family. It's an opportunity to talk over common problems like rules and money and see if these can be resolved.
  • Supported housing - This is shared housing and support with independent living skills. It can be a good starting point for people who haven't had their own place before. There are other people on hand and support is tailored to your aspirations. It can cover finding a course or job, managing money, learning to cook and lots more. When you are ready staff will help you to move on. There are schemes for young people and young parents in Wiltshire.
  • Other housing - There are also private rented shared houses and flats, and Council and housing association properties for those who qualify. Our Looking for a home page tells you about local accommodation and has lots more information on how to rent.

Am I ready to leave home?

There is lots to think about:

  • Where do I want to live?
  • How to find somewhere?
  • How much rent will I have to pay?
  • What about other bills like heating and broadband?
  • Are there any benefits available?
  • Can I stay in education and claim benefits?

Finding somewhere to live

Young people often stay with friends or rent a room in a shared house. If you are under 18, you will not be able to hold a tenancy in your name unless you have a guarantor. A landlord may also ask for a guarantor if you have not held a tenancy before.

Housing Options can explain more about this as well as help you find accommodation. You can also visit Looking for a home.

As well as talking to us you could:

  • Ask family and friends, try local newspapers and shop windows
  • Check college and university notice boards
  • Register with letting agents
  • Search online

Help with housing costs

Deposits and rent in advance

Many landlords ask for a damages deposit and rent in advance. We may be able to help you with this. Visit WiltsLet .

Paying rent

If you are single there may be limits as to how much you can claim through housing benefit or Universal Credit; this is called the shared room rate (opens new window) and how much you can claim depends upon your situation.

Help and advice

Centrepoint (opens new window) advises young people, 16 to 25 years. They can also help if you are worried about a young person you know.
Call free on 0808 800 0661 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. (opens new window) helps young people under 19. You can talk about anything, whether it's big or small. Calling is free and doesn't show up on the phone bill.
Call 0800 1111. Online chat and email also available.

Citizens Advice (opens new window) advises on housing, claiming benefits and day to day problems.
Call their free advice line on 0800 144 8848.

Coram Voice (opens new window) advocates for and supports children and young people in care, leaving care, with a social worker or needing one.
Call 0808 800 5792.

Shelter (opens new window) has lots of information on its website for young people about housing.

Wiltshire mental health helpline for Under 18s.
Call 01865 903777, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or 01865 901000 from 5pm to 9am in the week and at weekends.

Wiltshire adult mental health helpline is available 24/7 on 0300 3031320.

YoungMinds (opens new window) supports young people with their mental health and adults who are worried about young people.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email