Large item reuse and collection
Bulky items such as white goods, furniture and electrical appliances can be re-used. With the help of local charities these can be collected from your doorstep.
Chargeable collection of large items
If your large goods are unsuitable for reuse, the council can collect these from outside of your property for a charge. We are unable to enter your property to collect large items. We cannot collect any commercial items.
This is not a complete list, if you cannot see an item, phone us on 0300 456 0102 as some other items can be collected by special arrangement.
What can the council collect?
- Chairs and Tables
- Washing Machines
- Carpets (must be rolled and no longer than 6ft/1.8m in length)
- Underlay (must be rolled and no longer than 6ft/1.8m in length)
- Computer items
- Electrical items
- Garden furniture
- Portable heaters/coolers
- Trampolines if dismantled fully
- Single items under 50kg
- Bathtubs, sinks, toilets cisterns
- Builders' or DIY waste such as plasterboard
- Car parts and tyres
- Central heating boilers or tanks
- Ceramic tiles
- Clinical waste - see hazardous and clinical waste
- Coal bunkers
- Fire extinguishers or gas bottles
- Fluid containers such as oil drums and petrol cans
- Garden waste, soil or rubble
- Hazardous waste such as asbestos, fluorescent tubes, liquid waste
- Sheds and fence panels or fencing
- Rayburn or AGA cookers
- Mobility scooters
- Single items over 50kg
The current charge for a large item collection is £28.00 per item and this is typically reviewed annually. Local authorities are able to recover the costs they incur in collecting large items, but cannot recover the costs associated with their disposal.
You will need to pay at the time of booking.
- You will be given a collection date at the time of booking and items will be collected at any time after 7am during that day
- Place your items outside so that they are clearly visible from the road by 7am on the collection day
- Collection crews are not allowed to enter your property to collect items under any circumstances
- Call us on 0300 456 0102 to arrange a collection from outside your property
- Only items listed at the time of booking will be collected
- If you need to change the items being collected for any reason, call the booking line at least two days before the collection date and we will do our best to arrange this
- In the event of having to cancel your collection, refunds will only be issued if you call us on 0300 456 0102 at least two days before the collection due date
Collects large items for free from both inside and outside your home, across Wiltshire. Items must be in full working order.
Will collect a wide range of furniture, as well as working and not working white good appliances from outside your property or a garage. They cover the whole of Wiltshire.
Based in Chippenham and offers a collection service from the North Wiltshire and Trowbridge areas.
Based in Wilton and offers a collection service from the South Wiltshire area.
Based in Salisbury and offers a collection service from the South Wiltshire area.
Based in Trowbridge offers a free collection service from the West Wiltshire area.
Based in Salisbury and offers a collection service for items across the county.
Offers a collection service across Wiltshire.
Many of these charity organisations have been affected by COVID-19 and may not be offering a collection service at the moment. Please contact them directly to ensure they can accept your donation.
Leaving items on the doorstep of charity shops without arrangement is not permitted and constitutes as fly-tipping.