eBook, eAudiobooks and eMagazine FAQs
On 15 March 2021, we moved from RBdigital to OverDrive and the Libby app. We've produced some FAQs to help answer your questions about the move.
OverDrive purchased RBdigital in 2020 and since then they've been working to move libraries across to OverDrive and the Libby app. Our eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines moved to the Libby website and app on 15 March.
If you have a book checked out on 15 March, it will be available on the Wiltshire RBdigital website and app through the remainder of the lending period.
Your checked out eMagazines will remain on the Wiltshire RBdigital website and app until 31 March 2021.
After this date, you will be able to access your historical magazine loans by either downloading the free ZINIO app or going to zinio.com. From the ZINIO app or website, you can register a new ZINIO account using the same email address you used to access RBdigital. Once registered, your previously borrowed magazine loans will be available in your account.
A collection of around 3000 titles will be available on the Libby app and website from 15 March. Any magazines that you borrow from the Libby website or app will be checked out for 3 weeks like the eBooks and eAudiobooks. You will have the option to renew the magazine within 3 days of the end of the loan period.
Holds will not be moved, but you may export your Transaction History from the RBdigital website by accessing My Account > Profiles. You can place holds on those titles again in Libby.
Checkout history will not be moved. However, you'll be able to mark titles you've already read using Tags in Libby. Users can export their Transaction History from the RBdigital websites by accessing My Account > Profiles.
Wish lists will not be moved. You can export your Transaction History from the RBdigital website by accessing My Account > Profiles. You can recreate your wish list in Libby using Tags.
Yes. You'll still be able to transfer eBooks to your eReader using the Libby website and Adobe Digital Editions. Instructions can be found on the Libby help pages.
Any magazines that you borrow from the Libby website or app will be checked out for 3 weeks like the eBooks and eAudiobooks. You will have the option to renew the magazine within 3 days of the end of the loan period.
No, magazines won't count towards your checkout limit. You can checkout as many titles as you like.
Yes, each magazine will have 3 years worth of back issues. Only the most recent issues of every magazine will show in the search results, with links to previous issues from a magazine's title details page.
No, we're afraid Libby doesn't support auto-checkout of magazine titles.
- Adobe Digital Editions is required to download eBooks to your computer. This is free software
- Once the software is downloaded you will be asked to set up an Adobe ID, this is also free
- Yes, you can now borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks from the library catalogue
- Any eBooks and eAudiobooks that you borrow on the library catalogue will appear in 'My loans' and will automatically be returned after 21 days
- If you're using a computer, you will need to download free Adobe Digital Editions software to read the eBooks
- To discover our full range of eBooks, eAudio and eMagazine titles, use the Libby app and website. This will also enable you to place requests, return titles early, checkout as many eMagazines as you'd like and checkout back issues of the eMagazines
- You can borrow ten eBooks and eAudiobooks at a time
- You can borrow them for up to 21 days
- They can be returned early but will automatically be made inaccessible once they expire. This means that you do not have to remember to return your titles at the end of your loan period, if you do not wish to return them early
- You can borrow them for up to 21 days and will automatically expire at the end of this loan period. You will have the option to renew the magazine within 3 days of the end of the loan period
- You will have the option to renew them within 3 days of the end of the loan period, as long as a hold has not been placed on them
- If a title you would like to borrow is already on loan to another member, you can place a hold for free
- You can place up to three holds at a time
- If you borrow an eBook or eAudiobooks via the Library catalogue, they will appear in 'My loans' for 21 days, even if they have been returned via the Libby app or website
- This will not prevent you checking out other eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines
- Due to Amazon's proprietary file format, they do not allow libraries loaned material, which uses the industry standard EPUB and PDF formats with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection, to be downloaded to their standard eReaders.
- However, it is possible to download library eBooks onto Amazon Kindle Fire tablets by downloading the OverDrive app from the app store.
- If you aren't able to use the Libby app or website, you can use the original OverDrive app or the Wiltshire OverDrive website to borrow eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines from your library instead. These alternatives have the same eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines as Libby, but offer slightly different features and device compatibility.
- The OverDrive website and app offer a dyslexic font option. The OverDrive help pages show you how to select this font.
- The Libby help pages should answer many of your queries.
- They can only be downloaded to a home computer
- There are a huge range of fiction and non fiction titles to borrow for adults, teenagers and children
- Some publishers will not allow OverDrive to make their eBooks available for libraries to lend so you may notice some authors you are looking for are missing
- This may change as publishers review their policies on library eBook lending
- A wide range of fiction titles for adults
- A collection of fiction titles for children are also available
- Your eBook and eAudiobook loans will not count against the number of items you are able to take out from your local library
- Any valid adult or child's library card can be used to borrow eBooks, eAudio and eMagazines
- Please email us at email@example.com
- We are only able to purchase eBooks from OverDrive to ensure we meet usage policies set by publishers
- This means that titles from some authors will not be available for us to purchase
- All our eBooks and eAudiobooks must be purchased from OverDrive to ensure they meet usage policies set by publishers and can be integrated into our digital library
- To find out more, contact OverDrive