Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For updates and advice related to COVID-19 see our dedicated page
Read more about Read more
  1. Pay
  2. Report
  3. Apply

Petroleum licensing

Legislation exists to control the storage of petroleum spirit. Where petroleum is stored with a view to dispensing into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine then a storage certificate to store such spirit may be required. (Dispensing means manually or electronically pumping the spirit, rather than tipping it from a storage can).

The Dangerous Substances & Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 put in place requirements so that any risks from the storage of petroleum spirit are reduced or eliminated.

Petroleum Storage Certificate

To obtain a storage certificate application form, please contact There is a fee charged for certification.

Petroleum Search

To request a petroleum search please contact is also a fee charged for this service.

Related pages

Petrol storage at domestic premises 

Further information Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002

HSE (Health and safety executive): Storing petrol safely

Icon for pdf The Health and Safety and Nuclear (Fees) Regulations 2016 [185.32KB]