Scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators

The Scrap Metal Dealer's Act 2013 replaces the Scrap Metal Dealers' Act 1964 and part 1 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 (motor salvage operators).

In addition to a licence under the 2013 Act, the following may be required:

  • a waste management licence or a hazardous waste licence from the Environment Agency
  • registration of the business with the Health and Safety Executive
  • planning permission for the use of any premises in connection with the business

Application forms

Scrap Metal Dealers - Site Licence (OpenDocument text format) [155KB] (opens new window)

Scrap Metal Dealers - Collectors Licence (OpenDocument text format) [136KB] (opens new window)

Wiltshire Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide in this form. The Council's Data Protection Officer can be contacted at

Your personal data will be used only in accordance with the Wiltshire Council notification under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The council will disclose this information to Wiltshire Police, Licensing, Public Protection, Environment Agency, Waste, Revenues & Benefits, HMRC, DWP, DVLA, Trading Standards, Housing Associations, Wiltshire Highway Authority and any other relevant Wiltshire Council department/employee. For further information about how Wiltshire Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our Privacy notice on the website.

Further information Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 : Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 explanatory notes Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 Commencement and transitional provisions order 2013

Local Government Association: Get in on the Act: Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 guidance

GOV.UK: Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013: supplementary guidance

Institute of licensing: Scrap Metal Dealers

GOV.UK: Guidance on the offence of buying scrap metal for cash The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed Relevant Offences and Relevant Enforcement Action) Regulations 2013 The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed Documents and Information for Verification of Name and Address) Regulations 2013

GOV.UK: Guidance Changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022 (HMRC - Tax)