Toggle menu

Information for electors voting in the General Election 2024.

A UK parliamentary election has been called for 4 July 2024. Register to vote by midnight on 18 June 2024: GOV.UK: Register to vote. (opens new window) You can also vote by post: GOV.UK: apply to vote by post (opens new window). The deadline to apply is 5pm on 19 June 2024 or apply to vote by proxy by 5pm on 26 June 2024: GOV.UK: Apply to vote by proxy (opens new window)


Overseas electors may consider applying to vote by proxy. For more information see the General Election 2024 page.

Section 50 street works licence

Under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) a Section 50 licence allows a person without a statutory right (a private person or organisation), to place, retain and remove apparatus in the street, and to do work necessary for that purpose.  

An apparatus could be a:

  • drain
  • fibre optic cable
  • duct
  • sewer, water or gas pipe

Section 50 of the NRSWA, and Schedule 3, govern the licence system. The licensee is then effectively acting as a statutory undertaker and is governed by the obligations imposed under NRSWA, the Traffic Management Act (TMA) and other regulations.

Wiltshire Council must keep a record of all street works, and apparatus installed, under licences it has granted. Details of licences must be included in the Street Works Register.

Non-compliance with any requirement of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 may result in severe financial penalties.

No works are permitted to start without the duly authorised licences. Any unauthorised works on the public highway may be subject to consideration for prosecution.

Contact us

Email: (opens new window)

Telephone: 01225 713497


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email