1. Pay
  2. Report
  3. Apply

Social care

Most children and young people with special needs and/or disabilities will use the services that are there for everyone in the community, for example leisure centres, doctors, etc. These are known as Universal Services.

A small number of children and young people, whose circumstances are complex and who may not be able to live at home without special support, will require assessment by the social care teams. Where children and young people are assessed as needing social care services, families may choose to have a direct payment to arrange their own support.

An early referral is encouraged for an Adult Services assessment, also called a transition assessment, as an assessment of needs may be required. The law says that this must happen when it would be of "significant benefit' to the young person. Care Act (2014).

Quick Links