Town and parish council consultation gets under way
The Community Governance Review continues
People are being asked for their say on proposals to change governance arrangements in some of Wiltshire's towns and parishes through a consultation and a series public meetings.
This is part of the Community Governance Review process, which provides an opportunity to make changes to governance arrangements for town and parish councils, and parish areas. This is to ensure that town and parish councils continue to be reflective of the identity and interest of local communities, and that they are as efficient and effective in their governance as can be. The process is overseen by Wiltshire Council's Electoral Review Committee which also makes recommendations.
The parishes where changes to governance have been recommended are:
- Biddestone and Slaughterford
- Castle Combe
- Donhead St Mary
- Fittleton cum Haxton
- Monkton Farleigh
- Yatton Keynell
Having reviewed and analysed all the relevant information, the Electoral Review Committee has formed the draft recommendations, and people can now have their say through a consultation and some upcoming public meetings. The consultation is now open and runs until 28 March and it, plus more information, can be found at Community Governance Reviews. Hard copies of the consultation materials will be available from Westbury, Netheravon, and Corsham Libraries. Letters will be sent to households in areas proposed to be transferred to another parish with details of the consultation.
- People are also welcome to attend a series of public meetings. The details are as follows:
- Recommendations regarding Netheravon/Figheldean/Fittleton cum Haxton - Monday 20 February, 6.30pm - Phoenix Hall, High Street, Netheravon, SP4 9PJ
- Recommendations regarding Heywood/Westbury - Wednesday 22 February, 6.30pm - Heywood Village Hall, Church Road, Heywood, BA13 4LP
- Recommendations regarding 'The Gibb' (Grittleton/Castle Combe/Nettleton) - Thursday 23 February, 6.30pm - Grittleton Village Hall, The Street, Grittleton, SN14 6AW
- Recommendations regarding Yatton Keynell/Biddestone and Slaughterford - Monday 27 February, 6.30pm - Biddestone Village Hall, Yatton Road, Biddestone, SN14 7BZ
Cllr Ashley O'Neill, Chairman of the Wiltshire Council Electoral Review Committee, said:
"The draft recommendations we have put forward follow a period of detailed analysis and conversations. It is important for the public to have their say, particularly those living in the areas where we are discussing transfers from one parish to another, so we can understand if the proposals being considered are the best way forward, and that they're reflective and appropriate for the areas in question.
"I'd encourage as many people in the impacted areas to provide their feedback on these important proposals."
The committee will analyse responses to the consultation and will then determine whether to confirm its final recommendations, to be considered at Full Council in May or July 2023. It may decide to amend its proposals and undertake further consultations.
Any changes to electoral arrangements for parishes arising from the review would come into effect from the next scheduled ordinary parish council elections in May 2025.
More information can be found at Community Governance Reviews.