Construction underway on Melksham Community Campus
The centre should open in Autumn 2022
Construction on Melksham Community Campus is officially underway, with the community one step closer to new top-class facilities.
The campus will offer lots of facilities under one roof, including a gym, pool, sports hall, library, and meeting space for the community.
Construction work started on 1 March 2021. The work is being carried out by Pellikaan Construction Ltd, which specialises in the construction of sports and leisure facilities.
Here's everything people need to know about the upcoming construction:
- The campus construction traffic is coming in via Market Place and everything is being done to minimise any disruption
- The car parks on the site are now closed, and will be for the duration of the works.
- Access to the site will be restricted to construction/maintenance vehicles only.
- Access arrangements will be in place for the on-site clubs.
- Nearby cark parks are available. People should visit https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parking-melksham for more information
- Pedestrian routes around the site remain open. These are clearly signposted, but access to the Market Place through the construction site will not be possible
- Large vehicle movements in and out of site will be restricted during school drop-off and pick-up times
- Access to the construction is being managed by a gate operative
- Steps are being taken to preserve the Market Place and the gates and pillars at the entrance to the Melksham House site
- The campus is expected to open by autumn 2022
Cllr Ian Blair-Pilling, Wiltshire Council Cabinet Member for leisure, said:
It's a momentous day to see construction finally get underway on Melksham Community Campus.
This marks the start of the end of the journey, which will result in a magnificent facility open for the whole community.
We thank everyone for their patience and understanding while construction takes place, and we'll work hard to minimise the disruption as much as possible.
We can't wait to open the doors to the public when the work finishes next year.
A newsletter updating people on campus news and progress of the works will be regularly published. If anyone has any queries, they should email MelkshamCampus@wiltshire.gov.uk
Regular information will also be posted on the Melksham Community Campus page of the Wiltshire Council website, which can be found at Information on Melksham Community Campus. This page contains frequently asked questions.