Council's Facebook rhyme time proves to be a hit
Wiltshire Council's first ever live Facebook rhyme time has proven to be a hit for families throughout Wiltshire and beyond.
Wiltshire Council Library Manager Basil Nankivell's online rhyme time, ably accompanied on piano by his talented 17 year old son Jim, has been viewed more than 3,000 times and received hundreds of positive comments since it was broadcast last Friday (27 March)
In fact, people as far away as Manchester logged-on to enjoy some classic nursery rhymes and a sing-along during this difficult time for people. Over the coming weeks, library staff across the county will lead rhyme times and story times. People should follow @WiltsLibraries and @WiltsCouncil on Twitter for the latest updates.
The next confirmed online sessions due to take place are:
• Wednesday 1 April, 11am from Corsham Library Facebook page Laura
• Thursday 2 April, 11am from Salisbury Library Facebook page Naomi
• Friday 3 April, 10am from Trowbridge Library Facebook page Basil and Jim
People should logon to the above libraries' Facebook pages to join in the fun.
It's a real shame families are missing out on attending our popular sessions such as rhyme time so we're delighted to be able to do it direct to their homes.
The feedback has been lovely and we're looking forward to doing more sessions like this and do our bit to help families through this difficult time.
Wiltshire Council Leader, Cllr Philip Whitehead, said:
Despite everyone having to stay home, we're pleased we can still provide our much-loved rhyme time.
This terrible situation has created a real community spirit and we hope that providing a little familiarity helps families as they get used to their 'new normal'
Some of the feedback from those watching included:
• "Maisie almost fell over when you said her name, she was very excited, you made her day, thank you for a lovely rhyme time"
• "Thank you Basil and Jim! We had you playing on the TV and baby Alexandra loved it! It's really lovely of you to do this"
• "Thank you so much! We have absolutely loved rhyme time in our living room"
• "It brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat hearing you sing goodbye to everyone! Thank you so much!"
• "Brilliant! Well done for putting this on, really made up for not being able to go to Amesbury Library on a Friday morning"
• "Brilliant Basil and Jim! Cheering up everyone including the oldies"
• "Thank you so much, that was beautiful. A little bit of familiarity, fantastic"
Wiltshire Council wants to help people stay active and connected during the ongoing COVID-19 situation. Services such as libraries, heritage, arts and leisure are working together to support people as much as possible.
View a replay of the Trowbridge rhyme time session.
View a replay of the recent Melksham Library rhyme time session.
All sessions will be available to view afterwards on the libraries' Facebook pages.
Regular updates to council services can be found on the dedicated COVID-19 page.