Make the Wiltshire Green Pledge
We are asking you to make changes to your everyday lives and play your part in making big changes to the environment.
The Wiltshire Green Pledge is a simple online tool to encourage people to commit to doing what they can to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
You can pledge whatever you want from leaving the car at home more often to using reusable cups there's plenty of simple changes you can make.
Cllr Richard Clewer, Wiltshire Council Deputy Leader, said: "Our Wiltshire Green Pledge will help people focus their minds to do what they can to protect the environment.
"We have big ambitions and if we're going to effect the kind of positive changes we want to, then we need everyone to do their bit."
Wiltshire Council has pledged to be carbon neutral by 2030, and its councillors have agreed to seek to make the county of Wiltshire carbon neutral by 2030.
You can record your pledge online.
We are carrying out a lot of work to reduce carbon emissions. Including:
- Investing more than £5m on carbon-reducing technology in its buildings
- Securing all the electricity on our corporate contract from a green tariff with effect from 1st April 2020 , which means that 100% of the council's electricity will be matched by the supplier with a certified renewable energy source
- Ensuring our response to climate change is enhanced within the Core Strategy the council's key planning and development document
- Drafting the fourth Local Transport Plan to reflect the target to reduce carbon emissions and develop policies to make further improvements
- Continuing to monitor air quality in Wiltshire through its updated Air Quality Strategy which will soon be formally reported to Full Council
- Ensuring the Household Waste Management Strategy continues to focus on reducing the carbon impact of its operations, for example in 2008/9 the council landfilled more than 56% of its waste, by 2018/19 this figure was less than 16%
- Working with Swindon and Wiltshire Local Economic Partnership to engage with businesses and industry in Wiltshire to reduce carbon emissions
- Arranging a series of environmentally-themed area board meetings to take place later this year to engage with communities and local residents.
We have big ambitions and if we're going to effect the kind of positive changes we want to, then we need everyone to do their bit