Toggle menu

Land and property assets

The data published below is made public under the Open Government Licence, which encourages the 'use and re-use of the Information that is available under this licence freely and flexibly'.  Please read and agree to the Open Government Licence (opens new window) before making use of the data.

Where a dataset has been updated, or revised to correct administrative error, a second version is published and the original will remain available.

Generating systemUpdate frequency
Land and property systemAd hoc

As part of our commitment to the Government's transparency agenda we have published a detailed list of all our land and property assets categorised by type of asset, address and tenure type.

We hope that will assist local authorities and communities to find where our property assets are located and the status of each.

The Government has issued a Code of Recommended Practise for local authorities on data transparency and encourage councils to publish information to help residents and businesses (opens new window).

Buying Council Owned Land

The Council owns land for operational, strategic and amenity purposes.  Surplus property is sold according to a planned programme of disposals which seeks to optimise the capital receipt received for reinvestment into other Council projects and services. 

In addition, each year, the Council receives a number of speculative requests for the purchase of land ranging from small scale domestic sites such as garden extensions to larger scale site purchases.  Because the Council must concentrate on the aforementioned planned programme of disposals, resources are not currently available for small scale domestic or low value requests to be considered. The current ratified policy requires the below set of 3 tests to be met before the Council will consider a disposal:

  • The land in question is not held by the Council as Public Open Space. 
  • The purchaser will pay all costs associated with the disposal (internal and external surveyor and legal costs).
  • The land is being sold to support a wider Council objective or being supported / promoted by a department of the Council (for example the Housing Revenue Account).

Most Council owned land surrounding or near residential property which does not form part of the adopted highway will fall under the legal definition of 'Public Open Space.'  This can include area of grass, vegetation, hard landscaping.  Any concerns regarding the condition or maintenance of these areas should be reported via MyWilts online reporting rather than through a request to purchase the land.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email