Check to see if you need planning permission

If you wish to build an extension to your property or carry out other alteration work to your home, or if you want to expand your business or change the use of your premises, you may need to apply for planning permission.

For proposed works (works which have not yet taken place)

Some minor alterations and building extensions, particularly to houses, may often be carried out without the need for planning permission. These are known as permitted developments.

The Planning Portal has a number of interactive guides to help you establish whether planning permission is required for such works as well as any necessary building regulation approval.

If you would like an officer's informal decision as to whether planning permission (including for any change of use) or listed building consent is required for your project, please complete the 'Do I need planning permission form' via the link below.  This will need to be completed and submitted along with a processing fee of £55.

Your completed form may be submitted by post, along with a cheque for the required fee, or alternatively by email, with payment over the phone by credit/debit card following our confirmed receipt of the completed form. We aim to give you a response within 15 working days.

Do I need planning permission application form (PDF) [248KB] (opens new window)

Permitted development rights

In some cases, your permitted development rights may have been removed. This could be because your property is a listed building, located in a conservation area, or part of a development where the rights for your particular housing area have been removed.  If you do not know whether your permitted development rights have been removed, you may check with our local planning office by contacting us via email at Our planning liaison team will be able to confirm whether these rights have been removed from your property or not.

We always check permitted development rights when we complete a "Do I need planning permission" application.  More information on Permitted development rights.

For works which have already taken place

If works have already been undertaken without planning permission, you may submit a retrospective planning application via the Planning Portal.  However, this does not mean that you will automatically be granted permission for the works. We will treat your application as any other new planning application.  The fact that work has already been carried out will not influence our subsequent decision.

Alternatively, if you wish to establish whether the use or development undertaken is lawful, you may submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate (Existing).  For more information see

Dropped kerb

All enquiries relating to dropped kerb applications may be made to the Vehicle Access Team who can also send you an application pack. To contact the vehicle access team, please call 01225 713352 or alternatively email to request  with your enquiry.

Further information regarding the application process may be found at Streets and street care.