Toggle menu

Information for electors voting in the General Election 2024.

A UK parliamentary election has been called for 4 July 2024. Register to vote by midnight on 18 June 2024: GOV.UK: Register to vote. (opens new window) You can also vote by post: GOV.UK: apply to vote by post (opens new window). The deadline to apply is 5pm on 19 June 2024 or apply to vote by proxy by 5pm on 26 June 2024: GOV.UK: Apply to vote by proxy (opens new window)


Overseas electors may consider applying to vote by proxy. For more information see the General Election 2024 page.

Planning permission

You may need to apply for planning permission if you want to:

  • build an extension to your property or do other work to your home
  • expand your business or change the use of your premises.

Some minor alterations and extensions can be carried out without planning permission, particularly to houses. This is known as permitted development.

You can get more information on Do you need permission? ( (opens new window).

Planning Portal: Interactive guidance (opens new window) will help you establish if planning permission is required and/or building regulation approval needed.

However, if you would like an officer's informal decision on whether planning permission or listed building consent will be required, complete the  Do I need planning permission (PDF) [423KB] (opens new window)  form.

This type of enquiry will attract a fee the cost of which can be found on our Current pre-application advice charges page. Your completed form should be submitted by post along with a cheque for the required fee, or alternatively by email to (opens new window) with payment over the phone by credit/debit card following our confirmed receipt of the completed form.

On receipt of your completed form and fee, we will check the planning history and whether permitted development rights have been removed from the property or whether the proposal meets the relevant planning legislation and other possible permissions/consents i.e. listed building consent, Article 4 directions, conservation area restrictions, etc. We will provide you with a written response with the officer's informal decision as to whether planning permission is/is not required.  Alternatively, you can email (opens new window) requesting a free 'Permitted development rights check' giving the properties full address.

A permitted development rights check will not tell you whether planning permission is required (or not) for your project and you must therefore check the legislation yourself to verify compliance with planning regulations. We will not be able to answer your specific question whether planning permission is required or not for your specific proposal under this type of request.

On receipt of your permitted development rights check, you may then visit our website and look at the General Permitted Development (England) Order 2015 for yourself, which includes the legislation for sensitive areas such as conservation areas.

Further information can be found by clicking on the following links:

Solar Together

We are working in partnership with Swindon Borough Council and independent experts iChoosr to give homeowners the opportunity to invest in renewables through a group-buying scheme for solar panels and battery storage with Solar Together Wiltshire ( (opens new window).

This group-buying scheme offers solar panels with optional battery storage and EV charge points, as well as offering battery storage for residents who have already invested in solar panels and are looking to get more from the renewable energy they generate, as well as increase their independence from the grid.

You may need to make an application for planning permission or other consents for different types and locations of solar installation, and to understand the principles we will follow when assessing applications, see the dedicated page 'Solar Together' for more information.

Dropped kerb

All enquiries relating to dropped kerb applications are answered by the vehicle access team. Information about the process can be found on streets and street care pages.

To find out if permission is required please contact the vehicle access team on 01225 713352 or email (opens new window).

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order and Regulations 75-77 of the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email