1. Pay
  2. Report
  3. Apply

Conservation areas

Frequently asked questions

Conservation area management plans and appraisals

Icon for pdf Amesbury plan 2008 [2.24MB] PDF (2.2mb)

Icon for pdf Broad Chalke plan 2009 [4.98MB] PDF (5mb)

Icon for pdf Chippenham statement 2004 [9.1MB] PDF (9.1mb)

Icon for pdf Chippenham appraisal 2007 [5.01MB] PDF (5mb)

Icon for pdf Chippenham plan 2010 [5.47MB] PDF (5.5mb)

Icon for pdf Dinton plan 2009 [2.64MB] PDF (2.6mb)

Icon for pdf Downton plan 2008 [1.65MB] PDF (1.7mb)

Icon for pdf Durrington plan 2009 [1.6MB] PDF (1.6mb)

Icon for pdf Wylye plan 2009 [1.78MB] PDF (1.8mb)

Icon for pdf Tisbury plan 2009 [1.36MB] PDF (1.4mb)

Icon for pdf Steeple Langford plan 2009 [1.58MB] PDF (1.6mb)

Icon for pdf Hindon plan 2009 [1.71MB] PDF (1.7mb)

Icon for pdf Malmesbury appraisal 2007 [4.86MB] PDF (4.9mb)

Icon for pdf Malmesbury plan 2010 [5.08MB] PDF (5.1mb)

Icon for pdf Old Manor plan 2013 [18.2MB] PDF (18mb)

Icon for pdf Milford Hill plan 2014 [7.34MB] PDF (7.3mb)

Icon for pdf Britford plan 2014 [2.27MB] PDF (2.3mb)

Icon for pdf Salisbury plan 2014 [19.26MB] PDF (19mb)

Article 4 directions

Most residential properties have permitted development rights which allow property owners to make minor alterations. A range of works to normal dwelling houses are usually allowed through a planning permission blanket called the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO) 1995. This means some areas are vulnerable to uncontrolled changes. Even a succession of small changes can have a detrimental impact on a conservation areas appearance and character. 

Following a survey of the state of England's conservation areas, English Heritage have advised that local authorities should ensure adequate planning control is in place using Article 4 directions. This guidance is reinforced in the government's Planning Policy Statement in relation to the historic environment (PPS5).

Where there is firm evidence that permitted development is damaging the character or appearance of a conservation area, or is likely to, the planning authority will consider making an Article 4(2) direction to bring specific changes and alterations under control. The homeowner will then require planning permission for any of the changes outlined in the direction although the application fee is waived.

Article 4(1) directions can be made for areas outside of conservation areas or for different classes of buildings within conservation areas. An amendment to the GPDO in 2010 removed the requirement for the Secretary of State to approve all Article 4(1) directions, making their implementation much simpler. The amendment also requires that these directions are made subject to public consultation (except for certain types that can be made immediately) and requires site notices to be made for all types of directions.

Buildings at Risk (BAR)

A Building at Risk (BAR) is a building that is known to be at risk through neglect or decay. In 1998, English Heritage created a 'National buildings at risk strategy' and published a national register of buildings at risk covering all grade I and II* listed buildings and ancient scheduled monuments. This register was combined with the register for London to create English Heritage's 'Heritage at Risk Register' which provides a more holistic view of the historic environment. The register now also includes conservation areas, parks and gardens, battlefields, shipwrecks and places of worship.

For more information and to search the register, please visit Heritage at Risk .