How to become an approved venue
The application procedure for venue approval is very straightforward and advice is available throughout the process from the ceremonies and licensing officer on 01225 718029.
Venues for civil marriages and civil partnerships may be all shapes and sizes and do not need to be able to offer reception facilities. There are a number of venues that concentrate on ceremonies only.
Wiltshire council will provide staff to conduct a ceremony and register a marriage or civil partnership.
The approval application process normally takes up to six weeks to complete. Unfortunately, no bookings can be confirmed until the approval has been granted and therefore it is essential for you to submit your application early if you have potential couples wanting a ceremony.
The approval granted to a venue lasts for three years and is renewable.
Download the application form and send with the following...
- Three copies of a plan of the premises showing the room(s) in which it is intended that ceremonies will take place
- Copies of any current health, safety and fire certificates - your fire risk assessment plan will be required at the inspection visit
- Payment, current licence fee (this is non-refundable)
- An approved venue must be a permanent structure comprising of at least a solid floor, pillars and roof
- This does not include temporary structures such as tents or marquees or structures that are capable of being moved
- The premises must also have no recent or continuing connection with any religion, religious practice or religious persuasion that would be incompatible with its use as an approved venue
- There must be at least one room and this is where the ceremonies will take place. There can be as many approved rooms as the venue requires. They are not required to be dedicated solely for ceremony use and certification as an approved room should in no way affect the normal business of the venue
- If the intended room contains a bar, it would be necessary for the bar to remain closed/shuttered until after the ceremony
- The minimum availability of the room is one hour before the ceremony and until its completion, during which time no food or drink may be sold or consumed
What does it Cost?
Our registrars were so lovely and made us both feel at ease so could you pass on our thanks as the ceremony was perfect!