We have moved to a new telephone system. The contact telephone number remains the same 0300 003 4570 but we have been experiencing problems with some calls failing to connect. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and hope that the issues will be resolved shortly. Please try again later if your call is not answered within 10 minutes, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration services during lockdown and road map out of lockdown
The Registration Service is continuing to provide death registration by telephone, face-to-face birth registration appointments, face-to-face notices of marriage/civil partnership and citizenship ceremonies.
Marriage Schedule System - change in legislation being implemented on 4 May 2021. The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration Etc.) Act will modernise how marriages are registered for the first time since 1837, through the introduction of a marriage schedule system and registration in an electronic register. Marriage Schedule System - change in legislation
Marriages and Civil Partnerships in England and Wales
Current national restrictions remain in place. The changes as we move out of Step 1 are:
- Step 2: No earlier than 12 April 2021 - Legal limit of up to 15 attendees subject to COVID safe practices. Our Registration Office ceremony rooms cannot safely accommodate these numbers whilst remaining COVID safe (with 2 metre distancing in place - current council requirements). Each ceremony room will remain at a restricted capacity please contact us at email@example.com or telephone 0300 003 4570 for details.
- Step 3: No earlier than 17 May 2021 - Legal limit of up to 30 attendees subject to COVID safe practices. Some of our ceremony rooms are unable to accommodate these numbers whilst remaining COVID safe we will however reduce the COVID secure distancing to 1 metre plus from this date at the earliest. This will increase capacity as follows:
- Wessex Room, Chippenham Registration Office will accommodate 16 in the wedding party including the Bride and Groom, photographer etc;
- Members Room, County Hall, Trowbridge will accommodate 30 including the Bride and Groom, photographer etc;
- Bourne Hill, Salisbury - Wyndham Room will accommodate 16 including the Bride and Groom, photographer etc;
- The Library will accommodate 14 including the Bride and Groom, photographer etc.
- Step 4: No earlier than 21 June 2021 - No legal limit on attendees (subject to the outcome of the scientific Events Research Programme. From April the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings to help determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing.) We are hoping to return to a capacity of 60 for the rooms listed above from 21 June 2021 subject to data provided by the Government nearer the time.
For further information on how to organise an urgent wedding or civil partnership in Wiltshire, call 0300 003 4570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The online booking system is currently unavailable.
Ceremony, Notice Of Marriage or Civil Partnership appointment
Our Ceremony rooms are simply stunning
Ceremony at your local Registration Office
All Wiltshire Council sites are now smoke-free, both inside and outside the buildings.
This ceremony has been put together by our professional, caring and dedicated Ceremonies Team and it includes vows, promises, music and readings.
Ceremony at an Approved Venue
This ceremony includes vows, promises, music and readings as well as more freedom and choice to make it unique and personal to you.
Combination Ceremony - cannot take place before 21 June 2021 at the earliest but can be booked
Do you have your heart set on a venue for your ceremony only to find out that it isn't licensed for marriages?
Would you like to hold your ceremony in a family garden or in a marquee?
Combining a small legal ceremony with a second ceremony, personalised to your own specifications and wishes, at the venue you have booked. Both can be conducted on the same day but must be conducted within 28 days of each other. Where possible, the same registrar will attend both of your celebrations.
The law in this country enables same sex couples to choose between entering into marriage or forming a civil partnership. If you have decided you would prefer a civil partnership our registration team will be happy to work with you to create a unique and individual ceremony to make your day very special.
You can choose to form your partnership at a Registration Office or Approved Venue. You may also wish to consider our Combination Ceremony.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to Marriage
You can simply book an appointment to attend our Chippenham, Salisbury or Trowbridge Registration offices and complete the conversion paperwork.
Then if you choose:
We can complete your conversion process with a celebratory ceremony for you, your family and friends at a Registration Office or venue of your choice.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to marriage is now available for same sex couples who formed a civil partnership in England and Wales from December 2005 onwards
Celebration of Marriage - cannot take place before 21 June 2021 at the earliest but can be booked.
Who can have one?
- Couples that have already legally married or registered their civil partnership,we just need you to provide us with a copy of your marriage certificate.
- It's a great way to commemorate a special anniversary by renewing your vows
- If you married abroad or quietly in this country you may want to celebrate your union in the presence of wider family and friends
- If you are converting a civil partnership to marriage and want to share the moment with those who are important to you
- Celebrate your renewed commitment to each other
Let us create a individual and exclusive ceremony for you where you will have the opportunity to declare your love and commitment to each other again in a venue of your choice.
Welcoming Ceremony - cannot take place before 21 June 2021 at the earliest but can be booked
- A Welcoming or Naming ceremony provides a unique opportunity to make promises to guide, nurture and protect your child
- It can include promises from specially chosen adults to show how much this child means to them and to offer you their support in your child's future
- We can provide a personal, relaxed and happy ceremony, tailored to your wishes, which can be held wherever and whenever you choose
- Children of any age can have a Welcoming Ceremony and if you have more than one child they can all take part in the same ceremony
- This could also be combined with other ceremonies
What could be more special than welcoming a child into a family? Whether a new baby or an older child, this is a time to celebrate.
Online ceremony arrangements planner
Once you have booked your marriage ceremony with us, you can use our online planner to keep on track with your ceremony. You will be able see what stage you are at, when your marriage authorities are ready and when payment needs to be made. You will also be able to tell us about your ideas and preferences for your ceremony, and use the facility to write your personalised ceremony yourselves.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact the ceremonies team, however you may find the answers you are looking for on our frequently asked questions page.
Did you know...
A ceremony conducted by an independent celebrant is not a legally recognised marriage in this country.
We can offer beautiful ceremony rooms located within our main registrations offices throughout the county. Currently due to COVID-19 social distancing has impacted on capacity in each of these rooms.