Registration services Important Information
The Registration Service has returned to all normal services following the end of restrictions introduced during the COVID pandemic.
Marriages and Civil Partnerships in England and Wales
- As of 1 April 2022 the statutory ceremonies have returned to the smallest ceremony room/registrar's office for the couple plus two witnesses ceremonies in our Trowbridge Office.
If you require urgent assistance to organise a Registrar General's licence ceremony (where one party is terminally ill) please contact our ceremonies team via email at email@example.com or telephone 0300 003 4570.
Ceremony, Notice Of Marriage or Civil Partnership appointment
Our Ceremony rooms are simply stunning
Ceremony at your local Registration Office
All Wiltshire Council sites are now smoke-free, both inside and outside the buildings.
This ceremony has been put together by our professional, caring and dedicated Ceremonies Team and it includes vows, promises, music and readings.
Ceremony at an Approved Venue
This ceremony includes vows, promises, music and readings as well as more freedom and choice to make it unique and personal to you.
Do you have your heart set on a venue for your ceremony only to find out that it isn't licensed for marriages?
Would you like to hold your ceremony in a family garden or in a marquee?
Combining a small legal ceremony with a second ceremony, personalised to your own specifications and wishes, at the venue you have booked. Both can be conducted on the same day but must be conducted within 28 days of each other. Where possible, the same registrar will attend both of your celebrations.
The law in this country enables same sex couples to choose between entering into marriage or forming a civil partnership. If you have decided you would prefer a civil partnership our registration team will be happy to work with you to create a unique and individual ceremony to make your day very special.
You can choose to form your partnership at a Registration Office or Approved Venue. You may also wish to consider our Combination Ceremony.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to Marriage
You can simply book an appointment to attend our Chippenham, Salisbury or Trowbridge Registration offices and complete the conversion paperwork.
Then if you choose:
We can complete your conversion process with a celebratory ceremony for you, your family and friends at a Registration Office or venue of your choice.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to marriage is now available for same sex couples who formed a civil partnership in England and Wales from December 2005 onwards
Celebration of Marriage
Who can have one?
- Couples that have already legally married or registered their civil partnership, we simply need you to provide us with a copy of your marriage certificate.
- It's a great way to commemorate a special anniversary by renewing your vows
- If you married abroad or quietly in this country you may want to celebrate your union in the presence of wider family and friends
- If you are converting a civil partnership to marriage and want to share the moment with those who are important to you
- Celebrate your renewed commitment to each other
Let us create a individual and exclusive ceremony for you where you will have the opportunity to declare your love and commitment to each other again in a venue of your choice.
- A Welcoming or Naming ceremony provides a unique opportunity to make promises to guide, nurture and protect your child
- It can include promises from specially chosen adults to show how much this child means to them and to offer you their support in your child's future
- We can provide a personal, relaxed and happy ceremony, tailored to your wishes, which can be held wherever and whenever you choose
- Children of any age can have a Welcoming Ceremony and if you have more than one child they can all take part in the same ceremony
- This could also be combined with other ceremonies
What could be more special than welcoming a child into a family? Whether a new baby or an older child, this is a time to celebrate.
Online ceremony arrangements planner
Once you have booked your marriage ceremony with us, you can use our online planner to keep on track with your ceremony. You will be able see what stage you are at, when your marriage authorities are ready and when payment needs to be made. You will also be able to tell us about your ideas and preferences for your ceremony, and use the facility to write your personalised ceremony yourselves.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact the ceremonies team, however you may find the answers you are looking for on our frequently asked questions page.
Did you know...
A ceremony conducted by an independent celebrant is not a legally recognised marriage in this country.
We can offer beautiful ceremony rooms located within our main registrations offices throughout the county. Currently due to COVID-19 social distancing has impacted on capacity in each of these rooms.