Giving notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

You must each give formal notice of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership in person at a Registration Office in the district where you live. If one party is a foreign national you will both be required to give notice of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership in the same district at the same time. This can be a district in which either of you live. You are required to have lived in the district for at least eight days before giving notice.

The minimum period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is currently 28 clear days*. The Schedule for marriage will be issued on day 29  after the date you give notice and will be valid for twelve months. It's therefore a good idea to arrange to give your individual notices  around six months before the date of your ceremony. 

*For couples where one or both parties are non-EEA nationals with limited or no immigration status, your application to marry will be referred to the Home Office and they may extend the notice period to 70 days. Additional fees may apply which the Registration Service will advise you about when you book your appointment.

For detailed information on the requirements for giving notice and applying for visas, visit the web site.

Information on documents you need to provide can be found at:

Notice of marriage or civil partnership


For more information please contact our ceremonies team for more information by email to or call 0300 003 4570.

Face coverings guidance

Anybody attending a registration office for an appointment must wear a face covering unless they are exempt from doing so under Government guidelines.