Civil registration records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships are in the custody of Superintendent Registrar and located with the copy Certificates Team in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.
We can only supply certificates for the events that happened in Wiltshire. For the events that happened in Swindon or Bath, you need to apply in their local office.
We cannot accept liability for any certificates lost in the post.
- Directly: The easiest and quickest way to apply for a certificate is to phone 0300 003 4571 and pay via debit/credit card. This service is available Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm.
- In person: at Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.
- Via post: You can apply by post to
Copy Certificates Service, Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham, SN15 3QN.
You must enclose a cheque or postal order for the correct amount made payable to Wiltshire Council
- For general enquiries you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full name(s) (including surname)
- Date and place of birth
- Parents' names
- Mother's maiden name (if appropriate)
- Full name(s) (including surname) of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Any other information e.g. Date of birth/age/occupation etc.
- Full name(s) (including surnames) of parties to be married
- Date and place of marriage
Many of the Wiltshire Indexes for Births, Deaths and Marriages can be found at the Wiltshire BMD Births, Marriages and Deaths website.
Collections of local and family history books can be found in Wiltshire libraries.