Street naming and numbering
We have a statutory duty to name and number streets and to approve and register official property addresses in the county of Wiltshire. Prior to 1 April 2009 this street naming and numbering function was the remit of the district councils of Wiltshire.
Wiltshire maintains a comprehensive and high standard for naming streets and numbering or naming properties and allows the following:
- Emergency services to find a property quickly (delays can cost lives and money)
- Mail to be delivered efficiently
- Visitors to find where they want to go
- Reliable delivery of services and products
- Records of service providers to be kept in an effective manner
Street naming and numbering policy
The purpose of theis to establish the correct process and rules around the processing of:
- Changing an existing address
- Registering a new address on an existing street
- Registering a new street and addresses on the street
- Renaming an existing street or renumbering all existing properties on an existing street
- Ensuring that all properties in Wiltshire are assigned an official address that is clear and unambiguous.
Street naming and numbering procedure and costs
To apply, please complete the correct application form below:
- (This request can only be made by the town/parish council)
The current policy now has a pre-application stage for any developments involving the creation of a new street. The developer will need to liaise with the relevant town/parish council to agree on acceptable street name(s) before submitting the formal application to us.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Data protection law was changed on 25 May 2018 with the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This page details the Address Information Team's compliance and includes the Subject Information Notice (available below to download).
This notice gives you information about the data we hold about you, how we use it, your rights in relation to it and the safeguards that are in place to protect it.
Wiltshire Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on our application forms. The Council's Data Protection Officer can be contacted at email@example.com.
The Address Information Team will only use any contact and financial details you provide for the purpose of contacting you regarding your query, application details or application payment.
We will share your personal data where necessary and lawful within the Council, but we will not share your data with any other third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law.
For further information about how Wiltshire Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our Privacy notice on the website.
- 01225 770517
- 01225 770504
- 01225 770518
- 01225 770273
- 01225 712626
Address Information Team