Exit Accessibility View

Abnormal loads

Who to inform

Hauliers wishing to move "abnormal loads" must inform in advance, the following authorities of the routes they intend to use:

Wiltshire Council liaises with the police and hauliers and check all the routes submitted for height, weight, width and axle load restrictions. They will also re-route the vehicles if necessary.

The Council makes sure the hauliers have the correct indemnity policies to cover any damage that maybe incurred whilst travelling through the County.

Hauliers are encouraged to submit the route through the ESDAL Portal managed by Highways England.

Wiltshire County Boundary

Three Highway Authorities operate within the geographical boundary of Wiltshire council:

  • Wiltshire council non trunk roads
  • Swindon Borough council non trunk roads within the Swindon Borough council boundary
  • Highways England trunk roads and motorways

In addition there are two bridge authorities:

Depending on the chosen route, one, some or all of these authorities may need notification.

Share this page

Latest tweets


M4 Junction 17 Works: The Westbound On Slip and Westbound Off Slip at the M4 junction 17 will be closed for one nig… https://t.co/deNM1LdU7o

20 Apr 2018 08:38


RT @Ringway_Wilts: #Wiltshire #Ringway Parish Stewards out and about maintaining the local network....before and after https://t.co/atacsTM…

18 Apr 2018 09:03


RT @ConnectingWilts: The latest update from @SwindonCouncil on the M4 Junction 16 improvement works https://t.co/6AVfiQAWM2. https://t.co/j…

18 Apr 2018 08:56


You can use the MyWiltshire app to report and track highway issues in Wiltshire. Download the app or use the online… https://t.co/JjBrCWeZNY

18 Apr 2018 08:53

Last updated: 2 January 2018 | Last reviewed: 2 January 2018