Private rented and owner occupier housing

Private sector housing enquiries

What we do:

  • Provide advice and information about housing condition to homeowners, landlords and private sector tenants across the county
  • Provide assistance to vulnerable homeowners to help them repair and improve their home
  • Help disabled people to remain living in their own home
  • Encourage landlords to improve the physical and management standards of privately rented houses
  • Promote the private rented sector as a tenure of choice

Advice for tenants

Damp and mould

Disrepair - private tenants

Security and safety in your home

Is your home overcrowded?

Home adaptations, repair grants and loans

GOV.UK: Guidance How to rent a safe home

Statement of reason for financial penalties (smoke and carbon monoxide)

Accessible version of Statement of Principles for Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm regulations

Advice for landlords

GOV.UK: Guidance How to rent a safe home

Houses in multiple occupation

Disrepair - private tenants

Housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS)

General information

Housing Act 2004

Why do we inspect homes?

Problems in private rented accommodation

WiltsLet - support for private landlords and renters

Private housing renewal interim strategy policy (PDF) [325KB] (opens new window)  

Private sector enforcement policy (PDF) [72KB] (opens new window)