Toggle menu

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can be physical, mental, emotional and financial. It may include coercive and controlling behaviour and so called honour-based violence or forced marriage. Practical help and services are available to support anyone facing domestic abuse.

If you are at immediate risk of harm, call the police on 999. If you are not in immediate danger but want to report abuse, call the police on 101.

Help with housing

Housing Solutions can advise you on your housing situation and help you find somewhere safe to live. There are also options for remaining in the home with legal protection. Trained staff will listen to you and your enquiry will be treated as confidential. There is emergency cover out of office hours. Housing Options.

If you need to leave your home we would look at short term options with you until somewhere settled can be sorted out. This could be in a refuge, place of safety or other accommodation. We can refer you out of the county if necessary.

Refuges offer each family a furnished room with shared facilities such as a kitchen and playroom. Places of safety are for households for whom a refuge may not be suitable such as those needing accessible accommodation or with older male children, male victims and couples fleeing honour based violence.

There is ongoing support both to organise your move and with associated matters such as health needs, money, benefits, clothing, schools, GPs and finding a solicitor.

Domestic Abuse Act 2021

This creates a statutory definition of domestic abuse. It says that domestic abuse is not just physical violence but can be sexual, emotional, psychological, coercive or controlling, and economic abuse. It applies to any persons aged 16 years and over who are personally connected to one another. Children are recognised as victims of domestic abuse if they see, hear or otherwise experience the effects of abuse.

Support agencies

Forced marriage unit

Contact the GOV.UK: Forced marriage (opens new window) if you're trying to stop a forced marriage or need help to leave a marriage you've been forced into.        

Men's Advice Line

Provides a range of services for men experiencing domestic abuse from their partner. Call 0808 801 0327 or email (opens new window). Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.

National Domestic Abuse helpline

Staff can find a refuge place for you and your children, including culturally specific services. They can advise on services in your area whether or not you have left your partner. Read more on their website. Call 0808 2000 247 or visit Refuge: National helpline (opens new window).

National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline

Support and advice for LGBTQIA people experiencing domestic violence and abuse, sexual violence or hate crime. Call 0800 999 5428 or visit Galop, the LGBT+ anti-violence charity (opens new window).


Confidential practical and emotional support to anyone impacted by rape and serious sexual assault regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation. call 01793 781916 24/7 or visit First Light: Swindon & Wiltshire Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) (opens new window).

FearFree Support Service

Provides local domestic abuse services including services for children and a programme for males wishing to change abusive behaviours. Call 01225 775276 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or visit FearFree: Wiltshire (opens new window).

Wiltshire out of hours helpline: Call 01225 712880 Monday to Friday, 5pm to 8am and available 24 hours at the weekend.

Survivors UK

Provides help for men who have been sexually abused or raped. Visit SurvivorsUK male rape and sexual abuse (opens new window).

Women's Aid

Provides information, email advice and live chat. Visit Women’s Aid (opens new window), open daily 10am to 6pm.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email