Toggle menu

Area boards

Community Asset Transfer

Who can do what

Wiltshire Council recognises that many community groups occupy land or buildings that are owned by the Council but wish to take them over (ownership and or management) or wish to take over other buildings owned by the Council within their community. The Council agreed its Community Asset Transfer (CAT) Policy (opens new window) at the July 2011 Cabinet Capital Assets Committee.

Essentially this policy means the Council can transfer the management and/or ownership of the asset to the community and may do so in some instances, at less than market value, if sufficient social or economic benefits can be delivered by the proposal.

The process

Following receipt of a CAT Request Form (Word doc) [223KB] (opens new window) , Strategic Engagement and Partnership Managers work with Estates to produce a covering report for the Area Board to consider the application. The Area Board make a decision on the CAT. If the property is classed as being of strategic importance to the council, the Cabinet have the final say, taking into account the recommendation of the Area Board. This is explained further in diagram form in the CAT Process Flowchart (PDF) [101KB] (opens new window) . In most cases the transfer of management / ownership will be through the grant of a 125 year lease, but discussions with the applicant will take place to ensure the right agreement is put in place.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email