Exit Accessibility View

Rough Sleeping?

The Rough Sleeper Outreach team is provided by Wiltshire Council and other providers. They will attempt to engage with you if you are sleeping rough and will connect you to services and assistance where possible. 

Wiltshire Council has a Reconnections Protocol for those who are sleeping rough in Wiltshire and do not have a local connection. In each case, our Assertive Rough Sleeper Outreach Officer, working in conjunction with a Housing Adviser, will make an assessment about whether you are considered to have a local connection. If you do not have a connection to Wiltshire you will be assisted to reconnect to an area where you do. If you do not have specific local connection anywhere, perhaps as a result of your military service, we will approve one for you. Time spent sleeping rough will not count towards establishing a local connection in Wiltshire or any other area.

If you're concerned about an individual sleeping rough, please contact Streetlink.

  • AlabarePlace, Riverside House, 2 Watt Road, Salisbury
    Monday, Friday & Sunday between 11am and 3pm, and on Wednesday between 10am and 1pm.
  • OpenDoorSt. John's Parish Rooms, Devizes
    Monday lunch, Wednesday breakfast and Friday evening meal.
  • Doorway,Salvation Army Hall, Foghamshire, Chippenham
    Monday 9.30am to 12.30pm - Thursday 12.30pm to 3.30pm
  • Breakthrough,Salvation Army Centre, Church Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8AR
    Monday and Tuesday between 10am and 1pm.

It's important that you seek advice from the Housing Options Team as soon as possible. The team will assess whether the council has a statutory duty to provide you with accommodation by considering whether you are;

  • Eligible for assistance
  • Homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days
  • In priority need
  • Intentionally homeless

Part of the assessment of your circumstances will be to consider your individual needs, including both your physical and mental health, so it is important that you are open and honest during the interview process.

If the team find that a statutory duty is owed to you as a result of your circumstances, you will be made an offer of emergency accommodation pending a formal decision on your case.

You will also be offered the Rent Deposit Scheme (Wilts Let) to assist you to secure private rented accommodation, or invited to make an application for Supported Housing through the Housing Options Team who will be able to explain the different schemes and what each offers after assessing your needs.

If the team make the decision that there is no statutory duty, you will be issued with a decision letter setting out very clearly why they have reached this decision. This letter will also set out the process of appealing this decision. In this situation it is advisable to seek advice from organisations such as Shelter or Citizens Advice Bureau, or from a solicitor.


Advice and assistance will be given to enable you to secure accommodation foryourself.

How To RentBooklet

Supported Housing Factsheet

Wiltslet BondScheme Factsheet

Share this page

Last updated: 10 January 2020 | Last reviewed: 10 January 2020