1. Pay
  2. Report
  3. Apply

Worried about losing your home?

Help for the homeless and those threatened with homelessness

The Government has produced guidance on common housing problems during Covid-19. It covers when notice can be given, possession proceedings, rent and mortgage payments, maintenance and repairs. For details:    GOV.UK: COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities 

For help with homelessness or the risk of homelesness please contact Housing Options

We will try and prevent or relieve your homelessness whenever we can by assisting you to remain in your current property or to find suitable, alternative accommodation in the private sector or through Homes 4Wiltshire choice based lettings scheme. If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days, and are eligible for assistance, Wiltshire Council will have a duty to prevent or relieve your homelessness. 

If you are eligible we assess your housing needs and agree a personal housing plan with you. This could include steps that you are required to take and that we will take, to prevent or relieve your homelessness. The Council does not have a duty to house every homeless person, but it does have a duty to provide a prevention and relief duty to every eligible customer who is homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days.

There is more information on this below. 


Housing Options will make every effort to prevent you from becoming homeless. They may refer you to other agencies for more specific advice and support or help you to bid on the local housing register  Homes4Wiltshire.

If you require accommodation, you may need to consider the following options:

  • Staying with friends or family
  • Hostels
  • Lodgings
  • Private renting

Housing Options can also give information about local night shelters, drop in centres and supported housing.

Help with rent deposits

Most private landlords ask for a rent deposit as a condition of letting , in case the tenant causes damage to the property or doesn't pay the rent or bills.

Debt advice

Wiltshire residents who are struggling to pay their mortgage or rent can get in touch through Housing Options contact details who can help. We provide free, confidential and practical advice.

Organisations that can help